Sunday, August 30, 2009

Food for thought: On messy foods, first dates and relationships



My mother makes these great ribs with some molasses and rum grilling sauce from Williams-Sonoma. I don't know what she does, but two hours in the barbecue at 325 degrees, add the sauce on, and it's a pretty damn good chunk of meat.

The catch: It's impossible to eat these (well) without getting messy, without using your hands, and without getting rid of any ladylike notions of propriety. Which is perfectly fine if I have a napkin.

Don't you hate those magazines that suggest women to avoid messy foods such as spaghetti and salad? When I was in high school, my mom always told me to eat as much food as possible on the first date - eat whatever you want, as much as you want (especially if it's sushi) and just offer to go dutch.
Then, if the guy still wants you, you're good to go. (Well, those are my words, not hers. But the sentiment is right on. )

It's such a shame that I didn't put that to good use. First date with Boyfriend consisted of a japanese fushion restaurant that I didn't know. So I stuck to the standard salmon shioyaki lunch combo. If my memory serves me right, it was too dry and I was too nervous to eat. Also, he didn't let me pay. Should've ordered hamachi.

I guess since then we've gone to other good places (dare I say better? Maybe we should go try it out again) and eaten more good food, and he's seen me eat what I call "a lot" at Sushi-Gen (amazing toro. GO NOW). And now we've switched places and he's halfway across the country in Chicago with a gelato shop close-by and I'm jealous. I really want gelato. And Boyfriend to take me to gelato.

I forgot what the point of this post is. Messy foods? Oh right. So is it ever/always okay to be messy and just comfortable on a date? Or does it take time before it's acceptable to dig into a set of BBQ ribs without a napkin in front of a super-cute guy. Or is it idealistic for girls to be completely comfortable on a first date because you know, it'll never really happen?

1 comment:

herryjuynh said...

it is of course okay for the girl to be comfortable on the first date but it has to be done in an endearing way. if your snorting and stuff your way with no consideration for how your food is flipping onto the 85 year old grandfather at the other table. "we should do this again sometime". but if it's endearing and cute. all the better :].