Friday, August 28, 2009

Number 8: Mint green apple sorbet

Green food has a bad rep - broccoli, spinach, any vegetable actually. And avocados? it's either hate it or love it.

But green apple sorbet is actually the second reason why I bought an ice cream maker - and just like the salted caramel ice cream, it started with a restaurant.

This one's called Catal, and it takes place in Downtown Disney. They have this really great dessert - not chocolate based, and perfect for summer. I believe they've changed their menu right now, but it was a jasmine panna cotta with effervescence, green apple sorbet and a green apple syrup. Afterward, I kept bugging Boyfriend to take me back - well, that never happened.

So onwards - green apple sorbet. Normally, I'm not a fan of apples in general (probably because I haven't had one from Virginia - I've heard they're amazing.) I stuck a bunch of mint leaves with the apples while they were freezing because I felt like it. Came out a little too minty - I guess I put in too many leaves. (Boyfriend is saying "I told you so.")



Green apple sorbet
infused with mint
1 pound green apples (about 3)
11 ounces sugar
1 1/4 cup water
juice of one and a half limes

1. Slice the apples thinly, squeeze lime juice over the slices to prevent oxidation. Place a few mint leaves among the slices. Freeze overnight.
2. Dissolve sugar in water, cook until it becomes a light syrup
3. Pour the syrup over the apple slices, remove mint leaves
4. Puree the apples and syrup as thin as possible
5. Freeze in ice cream maker

No comments: