Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Number 10: Mint chocolate macarons

The first time I tried (key word) to make macarons, they fell flat. I didn't really understand what they were at the time, I had never had one, and so I misread the directions that said "mix in dry ingredients" and didn't take the care to fold the ingredients in.

So obviously the macarons didn't rise, didn't keep their shape and didn't have those cute little "feet."

So after doing some research, obsessing over the technique and finding myself with an extra two (aged) egg whites, I decided to try my hand at it again.

This recipe is David Lebovitz's French Chocolate Macaron recipe. After seven times he found the perfect recipe with a way to make the perfect feet - and it works.

I split the egg whites up to make one batch of chocolate and one batch of mint macarons, filling them with a mint bittersweet chocolate ganache. (I burnt the first batch, sorry!)

Mint and chocolate macarons
with mint bittersweet chocolate ganache


For the macarons
2 egg whites, aged 48 hours in the fridge or 24 hours room temp
50 grams almonds
5 tablespoons sugar, granulated
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon chopped mint leaves

For the ganache
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon corn syrup
1/2 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon mint extract

To make the macarons
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
1. Ground the almonds with the powdered sugar until fine - sift
2. Split the powdered sugar and almonds in half, mixing mint leaves into one batch and cocoa powder into the other. Set aside
3. Beat the egg whites until it keeps its shape
4. Beat in the granulated sugar until very stiff
5. Take out half of the egg whites and put it into a separate bowl
6. In one bowl of egg whites, carefully fold in dry ingredients with mint in two batches
7. In the second bowl, carefully fold in cocoa dry ingredients in two batches
8. On a parchment-covered baking sheet, pipe out 1-inch macarons about 1-inch apart with a 2-cm pastry tip. Rap the sheet against the counter top a couple times to flatten the macarons.
9. Bake for 12 minutes
10. Let cool before removing from pan

*Note: Fold in just so the white streaks of egg whites disappear. Do not over mix or else the batch will fall flat

To make the ganache
1. Heat the cream to a boil
2. Pour over the chocolate, let sit for a minute
3. Mix the chocolate until smooth
4. Add in mint extract and butter, mix until smooth

To assemble
1. Spread ganache onto one cookie, sandwich
2. Paint on extra ganache with a toothpick


These are GREAT the day after. You can store them in an air-tight container for five days or put them in the freezer. Defrost them in the container to avoid the macarons getting soggy.

5 comments:

Amrita C said...

Gorgeous! i know how you feel about macarons....my first batch dropped faint when I took them out of the oven! Yours look really sinful!

Jo said...

David Lebowitz recipe is great especially if you are venturing into macarons. My very first batch all cracked unfortunately but we still ate it all up cause it was yummy!

Great job on yours!

kitchen witch said...

I am so mystified by the macaron. Not because I've tried and failed at making them, but because all of the horror stories have kept me from diving in. So, to hear that you have a somewhat "foolproof" recipe (or that you found one, at least) is giving me hope. I think I'll try it!

Anyway, I found you through TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

Best,
Casey
Editor
www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

ABowlOfMush said...

These look so gorgeous! I'm always so scared to make macarons! I'm one step closer after seeing yours!

Jennifer said...

These are so beautiful! I Love the flavour combination!