Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Number 11: Mint chocolate chip ice cream

It's super hot hear in southern California, especially with the fire and everything. So I had some extra mint yesterday and decided to make mint chocolate chip ice cream.

Some of my friends have been complaining that my ice cream scoops are ugly. I'm sorry, but I'm not a super perfectionist and really, perfect ice cream scoops freak me out after reading stories about food photography and how some photogs get their ice cream to look wonderful. In other words, sorry, but you'll have to deal with my inability to scoop ice cream perfectly.

Also, I'm having problems keeping the creaminess of my ice cream. I'm still trying to figure out how to store it. I've been storing my ice cream in either glass or plastic tupperware things with plastic wrap over it. Still, it's really annoying to try and soften it after a couple hours in the freezer - I usually transfer the ice cream and sorbets into the fridge but I'm just too impatient.

Okay onto the recipe, which is Isaac Mizrahi's mint chocolate chip recipe from Epicurious. I actually cut the recipe into thirds because I only had two eggs, so the reduced, changed version is as follows.

Mint ice cream
with semisweet and bittersweet chocolate

2 large egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup whole milk
2/3 cup mint leaves, washed, dried and loosely packed
1/3 cup heavy cream
2 drops food coloring, green
1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped

1. Whisk together 3 tablespoons of the sugar and the egg yolks
2. In a saucepan, heat milk, mint leaves and the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar until it steams
3. Temper the egg yolks with a couple tablespoons of the milk mixture. Gradually pour in all the milk, whisking continuously.
4. Strain the egg/milk mixture back into the saucepan
5. Cook the mixture until it coats the back of the spoon. Do not let it boil.
6. Strain into a clean bowl.
7. Whisk in the heavy cream and food coloring (without food coloring the custard sauce will be a pale yellow)
8. Refrigerate overnight for best results, or at least until completely cooled.
9. Churn in ice cream maker, pouring in the chocolate chips during the last couple minutes of churning.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh wow this looks and sounds so great!!! I love that picture, too!

herryjuynh said...

haha honestly, i think they look great. especially when i saw your scooping in action lol. who complains?