Thursday, September 3, 2009

Number 12: Jasmine tea macarons

I decided to try my hands again at macarons, to see if it was just beginners luck the second time (ok, so maybe that goes against the definition). This time, they didn't necessarily turn out as pretty because I didn't rap the sheets immediately after piping them - I think next time I will try Helen of Tartelette's recipe for macarons. I'm thinking strawberry.

So here's a new tidbit for the blog - I LOVE jasmine. As in the flower, the fragrance, and especially the tea. My dog is named Jasmine, my favorite perfume is based on jasmine and lily of the valley, and I drink jasmine green tea on a daily basis.

I went through a phase where I tried to make everything jasmine - panna cotta (I hate panna cotta! I can never get it the way I like it, no matter how easy people say it is), cookies, syrup. They were even my first try at macarons (almond macarons with a jasmine tea syrup). So last night I figured I can make jasmine tea macarons.

I don't have actual tea leaves - just tea bags. Boyfriend claims to have jasmine tea leaves but he never gave them to me (although, to be fair, I asked for them once when he was in China). And now he's off in Chicago so it's a bit awkward to go over to his parents and say "Hi! Can I have some jasmine green tea leaves please?" (All in Chinese, of course).

Anyway I'm sure with actual tea leaves you would only need a teaspoon or so, chopped.

I was thinking of doing an orange white chocolate ganache for the filling, but the jasmine wasn't strong enough for the macaron shells. So I ditched the orange idea because I felt it would have overpowered the jasmine. Instead, I infused the ganache with jasmine tea. The white chocolate definitely has more of a jasmine aftertaste than the dark, but we'll see tomorrow once the flavors settle.



Jasmine tea macarons
with jasmine-infused white/bittersweet chocolate ganache

For the macarons
2 large egg whites
5 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 cup confectioners sugar
50 grams almonds, to ground
2 jasmine green tea bags

For the ganache (choose between white or bittersweet chocolate)
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 ounces bittersweet or white chocolate
1/2 tablespoon butter, unsalted
1 jasmine green tea bag
1 teaspoon corn syrup

To make the macarons
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
1. Ground the almonds, whisk and sift with confectioners sugar
2. Cut open tea bags and mix in tea leaves with dry ingredients
3. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until it holds its shape
4. Add granulated sugar to egg whites, beat until glossy and very stiff (gravity-defying stiff)
5. Fold in dry ingredients in two batches. Don't overfold or else the egg whites will deflate
6. Pipe out 1-inch macarons an inch apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet
7. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until tops are crisp and barely slide against the bottom feet
8. Let cool before removing from parchment paper

To make the ganache
1. Cut open the tea bag and mix it into the cream
2. Bring cream, tea leaves and syrup to a boil and simmer for a couple minutes
3. Strain cream over chocolate, let sit for two minutes or so
4. Mix until smooth, add in butter and mix until melted

To assemble
1. Using the back of a spoon or a knife, spread ganache over the bottom of one macaron
2. Sandwich. These can sit in an airtight container at room temperature for five days, or freeze them.

3 comments:

herryjuynh said...

sooo I haven't had ANY of these. i'm a little upset right now.

Gala said...

Flavor combo sounds amazing!
They came out so pretty...

stephanieting said...

i went to foodgawker and I saw these :D
yum!