Thursday, September 10, 2009

Number 17: Sweet rice cake/ MOCHI cake

One of my former dance TAs has a little maltese named Mochi. SO cute.

I've been obsessed with mochi ever since I can remember. Those pretty little Japanese sweets bought at the Asian supermarkets - AMAZING. My favorite was, and still is, the plain mochi with pink and green stripes.

And then fro-yo kicked in and mochi became all the rage - paired with strawberries on top of a tart frozen yogurt = indescribable obsession.

I've been bugging my mom to teach me how to make this ever since I started baking, but we never had the right flour. So I eventually bought some Mochiko sweet rice flour on my own and last night at 11 p.m. I told her "We are making mochi." And she said "OK, but I'm not waiting up for it to finish baking."

So here it is. My mother prefers baking it so it's more dry. Other methods include steaming it in a rice cooker or a microwave (really? I have to try that for college). It's super easy and now I'm dreaming up flavored mochi cakes. Green tea, strawberry, passionfruit, etc etc etc. You can change around the amount of egg or sugar - it's not really like cake where timing and measurements are essential. Dig in with a spoon right after baking it or let it cool and slice it up - either way it's still sweet, sticky goodness.

P.S. better picture to come. My photography isn't getting any better and I'm a little frustrated.



Mochi cake
16 ounces of sweet rice flour
2 cups milk
1 cup water
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 325 degrees with a rack in the middle
1. Combine everything into a large mixing bowl. And I mean large - it's a lot of stuff to mix together and you don't want to waste any of it.
2. Mix together until smooth. No flour lumps or anything - it should be a thick, creamy liquid.
3. Oil a baking pan (I used a 10-inch one) with vegetable oil - try any with less flavor. I used peanut oil.
4. Pour the mixture into the baking pan, cover with aluminum foil
5. Bake covered for an hour. This should dry up most of the mixture, leaving moisture only on the top. A toothpick should come out clean.
6. After the hour, remove the aluminum foil and bake for another 10 minutes, or until visually dry on top.

No comments: