Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Number 20: Mini banana-walnut muffins


Okay. Hopefully, you won't hear from me in a while because that means I'm super busy packing/getting ready for school/ getting ready for class. Starting college again and I'm going to miss my kitchen :(

Note: USE RIPE BANANAS. VERY RIPE. TRULY BLACK RIPE. Okay? Okay.

See then your muffins will turn out nice and fluffy and sweet, instead of flat and dense and pseudo-sweet like mine. I'm super impatient so oh well. Also, if you noticed, these are tiny. My mini muffin tin is tiny. They're on the same dish my jasmine tea macarons were on - just to give you a scale.


Banana-walnut muffins
from A Dash of Sass

2 and 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
1 cup (approx. 1 medium) banana, very ripe and smashed
1/4 cup plain yogurt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 egg
1/3 cup honey
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a standard muffin tin or use cupcake/muffin liners.
1. In a large bowl, mix together 1 cup of the walnuts and the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt and baking powder). Reserve the remaining 1/3 cup walnuts for the tops of the muffins.
2. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, yogurt, vanilla, honey and melted butter. Mix in the bananas.
3. Fold wet ingredients into dry until just combined. Don't forget to scrape the bottom, where a lot of flour hides out.
4. Using a spoon, fill mini muffin tins with the batter. Fill up to the top if you want large, coffee shop-style muffins, otherwise fill the tins only 3/4 full. Top with the reserved walnuts.
5. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until the tops are nicely browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
6. Remove from oven and let rest on a cooling rack for 5 minutes before removing from tin. Makes approximately 24 mini muffins


Ok guys wish me luck at school. :)


EDIT. I am such a dunce -_- Sorry for anybody who tried this recipe before Oct 2. The numbering for the flour was wrong. I promise it won't happen again!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

These look great! I couldnt agree with you more...black bananas allllllllllllll the way!! :)

Pursuit of Healthfulness said...

These look delicious! I using yogurt in baking and everything pairing bananas and walnuts is good with me!

Linda said...

Yum. Yum. Yummyyum...anything with bananas is alright with me!

I'll give these a try!

Zahra said...

This will be good for breakfast! will def try :)

natalie said...

either there is too much flour in the recipe or i lost consciousness temporarily and added like an extra cup.... my batter was way too thick but i thought "hey maybe it's supposed to look like this" so i went ahead and tried to bake them anyway... but they came out more like a slightly banana-y biscuit. :( I was super sad

Jessica K. Chou said...

Oh no! Well I'll try them again once we get our hands on some decently black bananas to see if the recipe is wrong :( I'm sorry!