Monday, September 14, 2009

Number 18: Blueberry scones

So this is my last week at my lovely home with my beautiful kitchen in sunny California. Friday, I'm off to Chicago to live in a tiny room with a tiny kitchen and expensive groceries.

Considering the fact that I'm a college girl, I realized that I'm not going to have much time to bake. Tarts? Ridiculously time-consuming. So my master plan for these next few posts is to focus on recipes that are simple and easy, mostly breakfast foods because nobody should eat breakfast in the dining hall. So scones, muffins (mini muffins!), croissants, etc.

Today I found a recipe for blueberry scones via tastespotting and to my surprise, I had ALL the ingredients in my fridge and pantry. I love it when that happens - it'll be impossible at college.


We have a Whole Foods near school which is pretty pricey, but they have these cute little bite-sized scones so hopefully this will turn out the same. I used dried blueberries though - don't have fresh ones and I didn't want to drive today. But really, I should get out more. Maybe I'll go for a walk, scone in hand.

Blueberry scones
via the Kitchen Magpie

1 cup sour cream
1 tspoon baking soda
4 cups flour
1 cup sugar, granulated
2 tspoons baking powder
1 cup butter
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup blueberries, fresh or dried (or any other fruit)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Mix sour cream and baking soda. This, according to the Kitchen Magpie, makes it go POOF.
2. Sift or whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until smooth and well-combined
3. Cut in the butter with knives, a whisk or a pastry cutter until fine and crumbly
4. Mix in egg and sour cream mixture until just combined
5. Knead in the blueberries, being careful not to squish fresh fruit and release juices
6. Separate into three circular discs, about 1.5 to 2 inches thick
7. Cut each disc into 6 slices
8. Bake at 350 degrees until the tops and bottoms brown slightly

2 comments:

Gala said...

yum sounds good and not too much sugar....

Lifeisinthechaos said...

Hmmm, have some frozen blueberries. Think I'll make these today. Thanks for the recipe!