Thursday, November 26, 2009

Number 34: Cookie variations - peppermint chocolate shortbread

Apologies for the hiatus. My return from Virginia was followed by some serious stressing out about finals. So here are some things that happened during the last week and a half.

1. I watched two Miyazaki films - Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. Am now wondering why teens lust after vampires in their imagination, if they can have an awesome river god who turns into a dragon.
2. Roomie and I bought a huge can of pumpkin and made pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. And then we made pumpkin cupcakes with chocolate ganache frosting. And then we left them at her house.
3. I obsessed about the new issue of Desserts Magazine, especially because they've got local Chicago pastry chef Ben Roche and his recipe for ants on a log dessert.
4. I realized that stepping foot into the moto kitchen as a guest chef was probably the most exciting thing to happen in my journalistic career....and I wasted it just interviewing the chefs. Booooo. (It was still pretty damn awesome)

Anyway before we left for Thanksgiving, I made a treat to take on the plane. I ran across similar cookies on
cupcakes and cashmere and wanted to spice up some shortbread.

I used up the remaining cookie dough from the marshmallow chocolate cookies, but you can just use your favorite shortbread/sugar cookie recipe. Coat them in melted chocolate, sprinkled crushed peppermint candies on top, and chill them until the chocolate sets. It's Christmas in a cookie. Forget chocolate chip - these are the cookies to leave for Santa.

No comments: