Found a nice silk scarf at Crossroads and a boys shirt on sale at Urban. And while at Francesca's Collections, we found a book of supercute cupcakes. And of course, we decided to make our own supercute cupcakes when we got home.
Unfortunately, we didn't have much to go on. We didn't have any lemons, fruits, or anything really flavorful, so at around 7 p.m. we were looking at some pretty boring vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting.
Luckily, Boyfriend saved the day by bringing some bittersweet chocolate, buttermilk and baking soda. (The buttermilk and baking soda was bought for buttermilk scones - those will come later.)
And the frosting? Well, originally we were going to make a simple vanilla buttercream, but the dairy taste in the cream was too strong, and it was getting too sweet, so we added a teaspoon and a half of cinnamon. Perfection.
The cupcakes aren't necessarily sweet, so even if the buttercream is too sweet for your taste, it balances out.
with vanilla cinnamon buttercream
For the cupcakes:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
a pinch of salt
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
1/2 cup buttermilk
For the frosting:
1 stick butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups of sifted powdered sugar, divided into two
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons of milk
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
To make the cupcakes:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line mini cupcake tin with liners
1. Sift flour, baking soda and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, cream butter with an electric mixer
3. Add sugar to the butter and cream until light and fluffy
4. Add eggs one at atime, beating well after each addition
5. Add melted chocolate and mix until well incorporated
6. Add dry ingredients (flour, baking soda and salt) into the wet ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk in two or three installments
7. Mix well after each installment. However, do not overbeat.
8. Fill cupcake tin 2/3 of the way
9. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean
To make the frosting:
1. Beat butter at medium-high speed until creamy
2. Sift half of the powdered sugar into the bowl. Add vanilla and milk. Beat until well-combined.
3. Gradually add the remaining sugar and the cinnamon until you get the consistency/sweetness desired.
4. Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.
Makes 46 to 48 mini cupcakes.