Thursday, November 19, 2009

Number 32: Chocolate-covered marshmallow cookies. Or psuedo smores.

Yesterday was my registration day, and lucky me - I somehow ended up with the last slot for sophomores. Drag.

So to cheer myself up after a day of angrily cursing
the 2 people who took the very last spots in the one (okay the second) class that I really wanted this quarter, I made myself these cute little smore-ish cookies.

I had never made marshmallow before so it was quite an experience. You're supposed to cook the syrup until the soft-ball stage (or when the syrup, when run under cold water or when chilled, can be rolled into a soft ball). I, however, was preoccupied with scraping the va
nilla bean and didn't notice my syrup going past the soft-ball stage, onto the hard-ball stage, past caramel, and straight into the stage where everything becomes a wonderfully black, burnt mess of burnt sugar. Really burnt sugar.

Try two came out fine, even without a candy thermometer, all I did was periodically pick up a drop of syrup on a wooden spoon and run that under cold water. Then I rolled the syrup to see if it would harden just enough.

Of course, the cookies didn't come out as cute as tartelette's. I don't think I beat the marshmallow enough/waited long enough for it to dry out. So some of my marshmallow kisses just ended up looking like tiny misplaced boobies. Oops!

Of course, when covered in chocolate, it doesn't really matter does it?


Chocolate-covered marshmallow cookies
Recipe at Tartelette



For the shortbread(note: I only used half of this because Roomie and I can't eat that many cookies. And we're selfish):
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/8 teaspoon baking soda
12 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 eggs, whisked together


For the marshmallow:
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons powdered gelatin
1 tablespoon cold water
1 egg white
1/2 vanilla bean, split and seeded


For the chocolate glaze:
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
4 teaspoons vegetable oil

To make the shortbread:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
1. Mix together dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon)
2. Using the paddle attachment of an electric mixer, slowly incorporate the butter until sandy. (I started out mixing by hand because our bowl is quite small).
3. Add in the whisked eggs until combined.
4. Turn out on cling wrap. Form a disc and refrigerate for at least an hour, up to 3 days.
5. After the dough has firmed up enough, roll out to until it is 1/8 inch thick. Cut out 1 to 1 1/2 inch round cookies.
6. Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden brown.

To make the marshmallows:
1. Heat the sugar, water and corn syrup in a saucepan. Stir until the sugar has dissolved and cook untouched until it reaches the "soft-ball" stage, or 235 degrees on a candy thermometer.
2. Sprinkle gelatin over cold water to dissolve.
3. Remove syrup from heat and add in the gelatin. Mix until the gelatin is all dissolved.
4. Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form.
5. Pour the syrup into the egg whites, whipping continuously.
6. Add in the vanilla beans and beat until stiff peaks form (this takes quite a while. The egg whites need to cool down and stiffen so be patient! I wasn't.)
7. Pipe a "kiss" using a round pastry tip on top of each cookie. If you have too little marshmallow, sandwich the cookies.
8. Let sit at room temperature to firm - about 2 hours.

To make the chocolate glaze:
NOTE: The chocolate didn't firm as much as I wanted it to, and it took forever (read: overnight). Maybe down the oil to 2 teaspoons?
1. Melt the chocolate and oil together in a double boiler, or a bowl over barely simmering water. Or use a hair dryer, like I did.
2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
3. Dip the kissed cookies into the chocolate, lift with a fork to let excess chocolate drip down.
4. Set on parchment-lined baking sheet and let sit at room temperature until the chocolate firms (about 1 to 2 hours).

P.S. These are messy cookies to assemble. I ended up with chocolate on my shirt, on my face, and on my fingers. Love.

No comments: