Anyways, recently I've just been madly dashing around looking up internships (!) and apartments (!) and my life is a little hectic. I've been super messy, super lazy when I can be and super anti-social. You know when certain questions keep bugging you, but you never ask them because you fear the response? Yes. That. Like "Am I going to be able to graduate early?" or "What happens if we don't get an apartment?"
Moving on! Had to get that out, but key lime pie for T. To be honest, I've never had key lime pie, so I was unsure of how it would look. I used a recipe from Food & Wine, which called for beaten egg whites to fold into the custard. Roomie noted that she didn't do this, but ah well. I guess it's to make it fluffier? But it's nice and tangy, perfect with sweetened whipped cream. Final verdict will come from T. Bit nervous.
P.S. My porcupine cookies made it onto the National Cookie Network. Yay :)
from Food & Wine
For the crust (I used a premade one, but if you want to be all authentic):
1.5 cups of graham cracker crumbs
4 tablespoons butter, melted
For the filling:
3 large eggs, separated
1 full egg, slightly beaten
One 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup fresh lime juice, preferably from key limes, which I didn't have
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest (more for garnish)
sweetened whipped cream
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
To make the crust:
1. In a medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs and butter
2. Press evenly over the bottom and up sides of a 9" pie plate
3. Bake for 15 minutes at 325 degrees, or until firm. Let cool.
To make the filling:
1. Beat 3 egg yolks and the full egg until thickened.
2. Add in the sweetened condensed milk, then beat in lime juice and zest
3. With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until firm peaks form
4. Fold one-third of the egg whites into the egg-condensed milk mixture
5. Once well-incorporated, fold in the remaining egg whites
6. Pour the custard into the pie crust.
7. Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes, or until barely set.
8. Place on a wire rack, let cool. Chill overnight.
9. Serve with whipped cream.