Thursday, March 11, 2010

Number 47: Pavlova with oranges. Or berries. Or any fruit for that matter.

So I had some leftover egg whites from ice cream. Normally, I go for financiers but I was out of almonds (and walnuts) so meringues it was! I never really like meringue - too sweet. But for the most part, it's an easy crowd-pleaser.

But first, baking cookies with Adobe Photoshop via here. I love.


Pavlova with fresh fruit
2 egg whites
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/8 vanilla bean or a pinch of vanilla powder 

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Line two baking sheet with parchment paper.
1. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form
2. Gradually add in sugar while beating. Beat until stiff and glossy
3. Fold in vanilla bean/powder
4. Spoon the meringue into 6 dollops on the baking sheets. If stiff enough, make a dent in the meringues to place the fruit. Tap the sheet against the counter to get rid of air bubbles.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the outer lay is completely dry. Turn off the oven and leave the door ajar, allowing the meringues to cool in the oven.
6. Serve with fresh fruit.

2 comments:

Gali said...

Meringues are my favourite things in the world! Especially the huge ones you can get at boulangeries.

These pavlovas look amazing. I find that pavlovas one can add some cocoa powder into the meringue and lessen the sugar and they still come out great.

Gala said...

I agree, I could never eat plain meringues. And a pavlova only with loads of ice cream, whipped cream and fruit. Still better use than to throw'em away!