Monday, April 12, 2010

Number 51: Strawberry shortcake

Sorry for the delay! I have been making things, but as usual, no opportunity to photograph. Chocolate ice cream must be the most difficult thing to capture.

Story: In middle school my friends and I referred to ourselves in terms of berries - a good friend of mine was Strawberry. So I made her a Strawberry Shortcake 3-D picture sort of thing, so when I think of strawberry shortcake, I think of spending countless hours cutting and gluing and all that jazz. Not this delicious dessert.

I saw this recipe while browsing Chicago Home + Garden and had to try it. It was just so cute! Obviously, mine are not as cute as theirs, but I try.

In other news, I was able to obtain my ultimate internship this summer! Staying in LA, hoping to find an apartment so I can avoid the soul-sucking commute.

Strawberry shortcake

For the biscuit/cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup + 3 tblspn heavy cream

For the strawberries:
1 pound strawberries
2 tablespoons sugar
a squeeze of lemon juice

For the whipped cream:
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
confectioners sugar to taste

To make the cake:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
1. Sift flour, 1/2 cup sugar, powder and salt into a large bowl. Mix
2. Add in the 3/4 cup cream. Mix until a dough forms.
3. Pat into a disk 1-inch high
4. Split into 6 triangles. Round them out slightly.
5. Bake on a parchment paper-covered baking sheet for 15 to 20 minutes until golden and firm to touch.

To make the strawberries:
1. Wash, slice the strawberries.
2. Sprinkle sugar over, squeeze in some lemon juice, toss.
3. Add more sugar to taste.
4. Refrigerate until use.

To make the whipped cream
1. Combine all ingredients into a bowl and whip until soft peaks form. Add sugar to taste.

2 comments:

長宜芳修 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
stephanieting said...

the strawberry shortcake picture is still hanging in my room :)