Thursday, July 15, 2010

Number 59: Mochi wrapped around strawberries

I know two vegans - the in-house photographer at the Mag and his assistant. Since the Mag is a food mag, we always have a lot of tastings - but they can never eat them. There's eggs and butter in the dessert, or cream in the veggie dip, and meat, well, meat is featured on almost every cover. Meat and dessert.

So they never get to try anything - and their lunch snacks consist of carrot and celery sticks. You just have to feel a little guilty while spooning down mouthfuls of creamy risotto.

Now I've never consciously made anything vegan before, but I've been on a mochi craze ever since I ran across a perfectly pliable recipe. I've made matcha mochi and plain mochi, ate it alone and with strawberries, had it hot right out of the microwave (yes, you use the microwave) and cool from the fridge. This one, however, is best at room temperature. It is chewy and slightly soft, but with the perfect amount of bite. I made it for the two vegans Tuesday when they had a shoot, and we had it plain and cut into strips for a snack - perfect for vegans and non-vegans alike.

Mochi
wrapped around strawberries

3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons Mochiko flour (sweet rice flour)
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons hot water

1. Combine flour and sugar in a large, microwavable bowl
2. Add in water and mix until smooth (for softer mochi, add more water)
3. Microwave in increments of 40 to 60 seconds, depending on the strength of your microwave, stirring in-between increments.
4. When the mochi is elastic and slightly transparent, it is done. Let it cool to room temperature.
5. If filling it with something (diced strawberries, red bean paste, ice cream), lightly dust a cutting board with corn starch and roll out the dough to desired thickness. Cut out circles, fill, and fold under.

7 comments:

Laurel said...

I love mochi! I had no idea it was so easy to make. Saving this till my next trip to the Asian grocery!

Carolyn Jung said...

Love the strawberries inside this chewy good mochi. You so rarely find fresh fruit inside of them, so this is a very welcome rendition.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

I love mochi and strawberries are the essence of summer, right? That was very nice of you to make these for your vegan friends :).

Joanne said...

Whoa for some reason I always thought mochi were way more difficult than this! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try this with homemade mango ice cream. Like a mango mochi ball.

twistedkitchen said...

Wow, those look great! I don't know if you have tried it yet, but one of my favorite ways to eat mochi is lightly fried until golden brown and then with maple syrup drizzled over them

Damaris said...

this sounds super good. I love mochi with strawberry ice-cream inside. I'm sure I would like this as well.