Monday, August 9, 2010

Number 62: Rosemary shortbread

There are two things I like rosemary in - bread and lamb. And now, I guess, shortbread. These are quick and easy cookies, although a bit soft compared to the typical shortbread. Slightly savory at first, which gives way to a subtle sweetness and buttery goodness. Love.

They disappeared like potato chips when I brought them to a hangout Friday night, which was incidentally a total guy-fest, complete with sexual innuendos, pool and bagel bites. And my rosemary shortbread cookies. Go figure.


Rosemary Shortbread
adapted from the New York Times
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1.5 teaspoons chopped, fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 stick butter, very cold and cut into cubes
1 teaspoon dark honey (I used dragon eye honey, which I love)

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees (you can even use a tiny toaster oven with a tiny toaster oven-sized baking sheet)
2. Toss rosemary and butter into a large mixing bowl. Whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt.
3. Add the flour mixture over the butter, drop in the honey and beat together with an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. This is messy, but power through and the dough will form.
4. Once the stuff looks like evenly-sized small peas, press it into a 5 to 6 inch square.
5. Prick holes with a fork, chopstick or the back of a toothpick. 
6. Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Cut into squares/rectangles/whatever floats your boat while the cookie is still warm.

4 comments:

heather said...

i've seen a recipe for this once before and haven't yet been courageous enough to try it. props to you, and a kick for me to get on it. looks perfect.

cheers,

*heather*

Swee San said...

I'm going to wait for my rosemary plant to be a little bigger, then make this. :)

Anonymous said...

Savory sandies are AMAZING! You can try other similar herbs in your cabinet with great results. I like Thyme or Sage. Oregano or Basil will also work. Lavender is probably the best of all, but difficult to find. One person I know even used Rose.

SGD said...

I made these with fresh Rosemary from my plant. I am always looking for recipes with Rosemary so thought I would give it a try. YUMMMMMMMMMM. This is a keeper! THANKS!