Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Number 63: Kiwi sorbet

Summer has completely kicked in now - the 70 degree, breeze-filled days are gone and now it's on into the hazy white heat and hot leather car seats that burn the back of your thighs. Once more, I'm inland and it's heavy weather.

There are few things that make the heat bearable. The obvious is air conditioning. Just as good, though, is an ice cream maker.

I just got one of my wisdom teeth pulled, and armed with a dentist's note stating I should only eat soft, cold things, I was ready to put my ice cream maker to good use. Unfortunately, with the salmonella scare going on in the egg business, my mother refuses to let me make ice cream. So sorbet it is.

I love making sorbet - it's so simple. Fruit puree with a dash of simple syrup and perhaps a squeeze of lemon, sorbets freeze so well in ice cream makers and are best freshly churned. And kiwi sorbetto is my go-to at every gelato shop. There's something about the smooth tang and the sharp bites of the seeds that gets to me. Sweet, sharp, smooth and cool - perfect for the August heat.

Kiwi sorbet
3 ripe kiwis, peeled and cut into cubes
1/4 cup simple syrup (or to taste)
a squeeze of lemon juice
1. Combine all ingredients into a food processor and puree. 
2. You can push the mixture through a seive with a rubber spatula for a smoother texture.
3. Freeze according to ice cream makers instructions and consumer immediately. As simple as that.

No comments: