Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Number 66: Lavender honey shortbread

If you walk into The Spice House, you will walk out smelling like paprika.

The Spice House is one of my favorite establishments in Chicago.They sell three varieties of vanilla beans, several varieties of cinnamon, and dried lavender - perhaps the most elusive ingredient I have used so far.

So last week I picked up a packet of lavender at The Spice House in Old Town and proceeded to make lavender honey shortbread cookies. A commenter mentioned that such savory herb cookies are the best. 

Unfortunately, these weren't all that favored by my friends, so perhaps another recipe is worth a shot? Maybe more sugar? More honey? A better oven that lets me know when it is preheated? We shall see. 

In the meantime, here is the recipe. Personally, I enjoyed the cookies, but I think I like my rosemary shortbread cookies better. 

P.S. Any other ideas for lavender?
Lavender honey shortbread
adapted from Serious Eats 
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon dried lavender
6 ounces (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, softened and cut into cubes
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup sugar

1. Mix together the flour, salt, baking powder and lavender in a medium sized bowl
2. In a larger mixing bowl, cream the butter, honey and sugar
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and combine thoroughly
4. Roll into a log, about 1.5-2 inches in diameter, and refrigerate for at least an hour
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.Cut into 1/2-inch cookies and place on a parchment-covered cookie tray, 2 inches apart
6. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the bottoms and edges are golden. Note: the original recipe said to bake for 8 to 10 minutes. See what works best for your oven.

No comments: