Saturday, January 15, 2011

Number 68: Orange marmalade

How to kill time this long weekend:

As it is winter, and in this area, snowy and miserably cold, I propose we spend our days indoors with the stove going full force, thus reducing the need for a heater.

The best way to stretch out the amount of time in front of the stove is to make marmalade, or jelly, or jam. And as it is winter, with citrus fruits popping off trees somewhere in California (not in Illinois), I suppose orange marmalade is the answer. This will ensure at least an hour of occasional pot-stirring.

I made two jars of orange marmalade as a present for my mom, who was obsessed with orange marmalade on saltine crackers with cream cheese. To be honest, it was way too much work for my taste, especially if you want to can it properly. When I have to boil clean jars in hot water, use tongs to remove them, and then boil the filled jars again, I usually give up. But I guess for my mom, I stuck it out.

So here's the recipe I used. It's too long and I'm too lazy to re-word it and everything, but if you have an interest in properly canning preserves to make them last longer and whatnot, learn how to sterilize mason jars here and process the jars here.

No comments: