Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Number 69: Dulce de leche cookies

It's thundersnowing!

Which means after a terrible live shot attempt in video journalism class (I said "the blizzard people" instead of "city officials"), I rushed back home to change into my jammies and have some hot apple cider. It's my first blizzard EVER. (Reminder: I come from the snowless place of Los Angeles).

So tomorrow is my first snow day, and the school-less agenda includes but is not limited to: Hot chocolate, snow forts, snow angels, snow men, snowball fights and sleep. Lots of it. And maybe some dulce de leche. I bought a jar from Whole Foods last weekend and it has taken all my will power to refrain from eating it with a spoon like ice cream. I had it with a muffin yesterday, so I'd say I'm doing okay.

As of now, the wind is banging against my window and I am wrapped up in my yellow blanket from when I was a kid. There's supposed to be 20 inches of snow tomorrow, but I think my dulce de leche and I can handle it.
Dulce de leche cookies (Alfajores)
Adapted from epicurious.com
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and cut into cubes
1/3 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks (*note: If you like softer cookies, I suggest adding 1 egg white and watch bake times carefully)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup (approx) dulce de leche (I found mine at Whole Foods, but Williams Sonoma and other specialty food stores have it)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
1. Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt
2. Beat the butter and sugar until light and fulffy. Add in eggs and vanilla.
3. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet until the dough has formed. You may have to knead with your hands. The dough should be soft but not sticky.
4. Roll out the dough until it is 1/8 inch thick. Cut cookies 1.5 inches wide.
5. Place cookies 1/2 inch apart on the lined cookie sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes until firm and golden on the edges.
6. Let cool for 10 minutes and fill with dulce de leche.

No comments: