At some point in my life, I became obsessed with cobbler. It started off with this:
A warm peach cobbler, hidden beneath two scoops of vanilla ice cream on a perfect summer day with good friends in Pasadena, right before a cutesy Michael Cera movie.
After that there was the berry cobbler with ice cream and coffee in Andersonville, the three or so apple or blueberry pies from Whole Foods, another triple berry crumble pie. And now, I'm hooked.
This recipe uses miso in the streusel topping - brilliant! It adds some depth to the flavor ("umami"is the trendy term, I believe). And even though I always slip a little too much lemon in, it always turns out to be a party pleaser. So make it! The recipe will make two small cobblers (as in two cake pans worth) or one large cobbler. And then grab some vanilla bean ice cream (though my sister prefers peanut butter) and dig in. All the peeling and coring is worth it.
with white miso streusel
from Bon Appetit
For the apples
7 medium-large apples (I like to keep it straight up Granny Smith, but they suggest three Fujis)
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup packed golden brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (I always add a bit more. I love cinnamon)
For the streusel
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 tablespoons white miso
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (see above)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 13x9x2-inch baking pan, or an equivalent.
1. Pell, slice and core the apples. Toss with lemon juice, zest and vanilla.
2. Toss the apple mixture with the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Distribute between baking dishes.
3. For the streusel, whisk together the butter, miso and eggs.
4. Combine flour, sugar, powder and cinnamon in a large bowl.
5. Form a well in the dry ingredients, add the wet mixture and stir until large clumps form.
6. Break streusel apart using fingers and sprinkle over apples.
7. Bake 50 to 55 minutes, or until the apples are bubbling and the topping is deep gold.
8. Cool, heap ice cream on, serve.